Mittwoch, 11. Januar 2012

Kultur 1

     Reading How German is American by the Max Kade Institute and the three articles in Vorsprung were quite captivating and interesting. Previously, I did not hear very much information on Germans that moved to America, and how they impacted the culture here. Reading these articles gave me some new insight in German culture, and how it shaped American culture as well.
     Initially, I was surprised that most individuals of German descent would live in the Midwest, but upon reading how the environment was similar to Germany, it makes sense why they would want to live there. I was interested how religion was quite a big factor into why Germans were moving to the United States, and also to seek out new opportunities (which is what people mostly hear when they hear about why immigrants move to the United States). I liked reading about how Germans brought some of their "clubs" and institutions to the United States, and how they were implemented here. Reading about the "Milwaukee Turners" was very interesting, and I am surprised I never heard anything about them previously.
     Overall, I really enjoyed reading about German culture was introduced and was implemented into current American culture. It was interesting to read about a topic that I didn't previously know about, and how influential the German culture was on American culture.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.