Sonntag, 29. Januar 2012

AMD 2

German is pretty important in my major. I sing a lot of German repertoire.

What I find interesting about particular German words, is that they paint the description of the word. The word describes itself. And consonants get all the credit for that and of course the composer who sets the text to music in such a way that it paints the word. 

Right now I am learning "Walle, Regen, walle nieder" by J. Brahms. For example the word, "schaumte" means foamed. The "sch" itself foams the word. "Sommerschwule" - summer sultriness, the "mm" gives a taste of summer, and "Sch" again makes you feel the sultriness. "Frischer Kuhle" - fresher coolness. "Welche Wonne" - what bliss, the taste of "nn" (when we sing we say taste the N, meaning put on pitch and stay on it longer to express the word better) gives us that bliss feeling. The most expressive word in this song is "Schauernd" - shivering, it really describes itself!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.