Over break, my family and I went to Frankenmuth for the day. It is very obvious that Frankenmuth is in no way a true representation of Germany, but it shows German culture circa 1920 better than most other places. While my family was there, we ate lunch at the Bavarian Inn. My meal consisted of a lot of meat, bread, some cheese-stuffed circular things, and saurkraut. I can't stand saurkraut, so I didn't eat it. It reminded me of one of the articles that we read about the meals in Germany. I think it said that Germans believe in high fat and high calorie foods. Well, this meal definitely held up to those standards. In addition, the menu that I ordered from sometimes had the name of the food, and I could identify what a few of them met. There are a few reasons that I think caused me to not identify more. One is that the food I was ordering had complicated names that we don't learn in German 101. Another reason is that the southern dialect of German is different from the rest of the country. Also, the whole back page of the menu consisted of alcoholic drinks which I found very stereotypical of German culture.After a bit of shopping by my grandma (and painful amounts of boredom for me), we went to a sausage place. At least we thought it was a sausage place. There was sausage, but most of the store consisted of alcohol, mainly beer. There was also German candy, and I bought some of that. Unfortunately, the towns attempt at being German did not stretch to their liquor laws. It was still illegal to sell alcohol to minors.
The rest of my day consisted of eating fudge (Is fudge German? I don't think it is.), and being painfully bored in Bronners. Anyway, I got to eat some good food, buy German candy, and I learned that there are far more types of beer in the world than necessary.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.