For AMD 6 I did some research on Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (mostly just checking out his poems). Goethe was so influential the German Goethe-Institut is named after him. This website has some of his work (they also have translated parts): http://german.about.com/library/blgoethe2.htm
Goethe's poetry is usually longer than most poems I see, and they all have an underlying meaning within each one. A problem with translating poetry is sometimes translating a poem word for word doesn't achieve what the writer was always hinting at, and sometimes them meaning or theme of a poem can be lost by translation, but I don't really see this being too much of a problem with Goethe's poems. Some of his poems are quite dark, like Wandrers Nachtlied II and Totentanz. Overall, they are very interesting and it's cool to try and find out what each poem means. It is definitely helpful to have some of the poems translated as well, because some of the words are very difficult! Goethe seemed like a very intellectual and interesting person.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.