I enjoyed the three articles on German culture that were assigned. They definitely provided a new way of looking at those within German culture. In a way they were somewhat negative because of the discussion of the German population’s major flaws that are well known. But then again according to the articles, Germans would be proud of the writers of these articles in which the culture is explored; without any form of dancing around the bush.
My favorite of the three articles had to be the one discussing the intense eye contact that German’s provided to people they are unfamiliar with. More specifically, the part about the old grandma staring out of her window at unsuspecting individuals. I had noticed before reading this article that some German’s stare more than a different person may, especially when it comes to eye contact. I’ve always thought they had to be weird. After reading this I can understand how the different form of rearing provided by a German culture rather than a U.S. rearing can affect the person’s behavior.
My second favorite out of the three articles is the one pertaining to honesty. I like how honesty is encouraged in Germany. I am curious however about the extent that one should speak honestly in a relationship in German culture. It would be interesting to see how a girlfriend or boyfriend would react to a completely honest answer when the easy way out would appear as a straight lie.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.