Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012

AMD3-Samuel Lee

Being in the UM Rifle team and not being the best shooter of the team at the same time, my coach gave me this book titled "Ways of the rifle 2009" so I would get better at it.... eventually(I tell my coach that he'd have better luck teaching a blind to shoot from time to time). Coincidentally, three out of the five authors are Germans. As I read the introduction, the authors go on to state how it is still one of the most popular sports in German-speaking countries with more than 1.5 million members in the German Shooting federation. Still unbelieving, I have decided to learn more about the origin of the culture behind this rather... unusual trend in Europe.
Back in the middle Ages, way before German reunification took place, German towns were left to defend themselves from the marauders and bandits. It was a militia of sort, and this tradition becamse gradually disappeared except in ceremonies until.... 1861. When Bismarck, with "Blood and Iron" speech that shocked the Parliament, said that he would even use military means to unify Germany, the GSF was formed. It was re-established in 1951.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.